Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Winter Classic

So I had intended to keep this blog up a bit more regularly, but it's been a little rough with The Holidays.  Alas, tonight is Game 2 this season of the Battle of Pennsylvania, so time to get writing.

Most of you that know me, know that I love the game of hockey.  I play on not one, but two teams in Philadelphia.  I stay up late to watch the West Coast Games, pay extra for both the NHL Package on Comcast, as well as, Satellite Radio (okay, that's just so I can hear Mike Lange call goals) and generally, love all things hockey.  As you might expect, I was thrilled for HBO's 24/7 to launch this season.  While I despise the Flyers,  Talbot is always good for a laugh, and while not so much anymore, the Rangers have always been the dumping ground for some of my favorite former Pens.  This year I couldn't watch the debut episode of 24/7 live, so I DVR'd it.  And you know what?  It's still sitting there...only one episode recorded...30 seconds watched.  As soon as the opening footage started to roll, tears welled up in my eyes and I suddenly got nauseous.

Last year's Winter Classic was great!  I watched every second of the HBO footage from the Greatest City on the Planet, laughed my ass off at Boudreau's chicken sauce soaked face and clung to every word Danny Disco said in the locker room.

Winter Classic Weekend I met Brendan Shanahan...
made 2 out of 3 shots in Sidney Crosby's dryer (would have been all 3 but I rushed #2)...
attended the Alumni Game and saw my childhood heroes skate again...

And this year?  Well, I don't care.  Okay it's not that I don't care, it's that I get too nervous watching the game.  I used to be nervous about the outcome of the game and now I'm holding my breath for what's going to happen next.  2011 couldn't have been a worse year for hockey and I can't wait for it to be over.  I feel like since January 1 of 2011 we've been taking some really hard hits, some, unbearably tragic.  The rain that day should have been a sign.  Being a Yinzer (read: highly superstitious) and also a hockey fan (read: believes in Hockey Gods) I have to believe that 2012 will be better.  I'm not someone who believes the game should be "soft" (I firmly believe that fighting has a place in the NHL) nor do I believe that every injury is avoidable, but I have to believe that the Worlds Greatest Player will return to the ice for good in 2012, and that Yaroslavl Lokomotiv will continue to find strength to play the game, and that Shanny's explanations will help future generations of young players understand what will and won't be tolerated, and that the tough guys on the ice make the right tough decisions on their mental health.

I have hockey practice with my Nationally Bound Over-30 team, the Philadelphia Voodoo, at 9pm and will miss the end of the game tonight.  Rest assured I'll spend periods 1 and 2 in the car listening to Bourquey and Lange and wildly taunt my Flyer-loving teammates.  But the outcome of the game?  The return of Talbot and Jagr?  Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter all that much...that is...until 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment