Monday, August 12, 2013

An attitude of gratitude (as Roy Kardon might say)!

 This is a blog post that I've wanted to write for a while now, but with no time to sit down and commit it to paper…or…my semi-defunct blog.  Now that we are one week out from the Ironman, it needs to be written.  This is a little long, so if you were tagged in or emailed this, just go ahead and Ctrl+F for your name.

This Iron-endeavor has changed me more than I could have imagined it to.  Not in the life-changing, new-age-y sort of way, but in the “I’m a different person now than I was a few years ago and I like it,” kind of way.  Some of those changes are the things that come with age.  For instance, if you knew me in the 4th grade when Ms. Moran dumped my desk upside down to find a homework assignment, you’d be shocked at the level of micro-organization that now I operate under. 

All of these transformations haven’t come from triathlon of course, but deciding to do an Ironman is a clear culmination of how different things are.  My husband and I jokingly call our early twenties our “lost years” and that couldn't have been more true.  To kick off my 30s, I got my Masters Degree, an amazing husband and a job that I knew would set the path for my career. Then, in 2010, I found the American Cancer Society’s DetermiNation program.  It was a way to honor my grandmother, complete a triathlon, and give my free time some purpose.  That moment started this journey and since I’m as happy as I can ever remember being; I thought it appropriate to thank some people who've helped along the way to IMMT.  

DNation.  If there is a more inspiring group of folks out there, I've never met them.  Despite personal adversity and heartache, you go on, fight for a cure and to make the world better.  Chad – Thanks for riding with me during the heat advisory and backtracking to provide a smile on my 18-mile dehydrated run through Manayunk.  Dan – Thanks for convincing me to do that first 68-point-whatever and for Velobeats…I will never be able to repay you for the discovery of that podcast.  The rest of the DNation Committee – thanks for the smiles on the trail, the joy you bring every meeting and the incredible work you do.

My training friends.  Jill –My friend, confidant, and commiserator.  You are far stronger than you give yourself credit for, most of us wouldn't still be standing, you are going to be great at IMMT!  Denise – Thank you for you always bringing a laugh, a post-it note, and an extra towel.  Your willingness to bring me a piece of tomato pie in the pouring rain is the greatest demonstration of friendship there is.  Anjana, Megan and Jim – Thank you for the weekly ass-kickings in the pool.  Emily – Thank you for the support and laughs, you’ll be great in Tahoe!  Sue- I’m not sure I’d know how to ride my bike if it weren't for you!  You've handled tough rides (in car and on bike), injuries, and all sorts of challenges with strength and a funny, realistic perspective on all of it.  I cannot tell you how excited I am to be doing my first IM with you!  Dianne – Wakey, wakey!  Thanks for being my 5am wake-up call, for the MANY laughs, the infinite bike knowledge, and the inspiration to keep pushing harder.  You are a gem and can you perhaps bring me some Pure Fare on course? Sean, Jared and Ang – I missed riding with you this summer, but thank you for everything you've taught me. Hopefully we’ll reconvene in the woods…with the hippies…and the hummus. Shawn and Dan - I can't believe it's go time! 

My work peeps. Eileen – You are my endless pillar of sanity!  John – Thanks for making my job easier, you deserve far more than you've been given.   And all of you who help out when things are completely nuts, you know who you are…and I appreciate all of you.

 
All of you who gave me books, songs, poems, and quotes for inspiration.  I've read about 75% of what you see above, hoping now that school is done for the summer, I can plow through the rest.  I also started a little book of my own to remind me of how supported I am.  So to all of you that posted on my Facebook wall, sent me a tweet, GChat message, email, or card; you’ll all be travelling to Canada with me.  The book is nearly filled and I cherish all of you.  Mike, Patrick, John, Becky, Rachel, Ellen, Katie, Sarah, Lisa, Bunky, and Alli- Your positivity is all over this thing!  And on the right is a poem I’d forgotten about that I totally love, thanks to Matt DiCarlo!



My coach.  There are people in this world that are meant to be coaches; that have the talent and patience to train, guide, and inspire others, and Jack Braconnier is such a person.  If you knew how totally neurotic some of his athletes are (self included), you’d probably add mental health counselor to this description.  Despite my weekly “stink-eyes,” I've learned more about training, pushing the limits, and the power of positive thinking, than I could have hoped for my self-deprecating, sarcastic, cynical being.  I always assumed that those people smiling during races were those with great natural ability, basking in their own awesomeness.  In reality, that happiness is available to all of us in the form of going further, faster, or just trying harder than the day before.  I started this journey thinking there was no way I could do an Olympic-distance triathlon and that an IM was absolutely impossible.  Now here I am, full of confidence knowing that I’m going to finish and enjoy every minute of it…okay, I know I’m not going to enjoy EVERY minute of it, but I know how to be tough in those times too.  So, thank you Jack!

I would be remiss if I didn't also thank Holden Comeau in this post.  First for making swim practice something to be enjoyed.  After a 14 year hiatus from competitive swimming, it was nice to hop back in the pool and be happy, not discouraged.  Secondly, for not laughing at me and actually helping me carry my 500 pound, vintage Schwinn Sprint up the stairs at Cadence.  Furthermore, for finding a way to fit it on the bike trainer, and mostly, for acting like the entire thing wasn't completely ridiculous.  Moments of kindness like that aren't forgotten.

Thank you both for all you've done and do for DNation.

My mom.  She’s finally learned the difference between the 5k, the half-marathon and a triathlon!  She ran a home for Wayward Triathletes for the Pittsburgh Tri and helped hose the mud off of us after a long ride.  I cannot wait to have her cheering for me at the finish line as she has my whole life.

My husband, Mark.  I cannot say enough about the man who pours me wine and hot baths, takes care of our little zoo, doesn't mind being left behind for hours on end, or eating alone, then cooking me dinner later, who cleans up the house, and even pretends to be interested when I talk about how many watts I hit during a 15 second sprint, or how fast my 100m splits in the pool were.  He can tolerate an incessant number of “Jack says” or “Training Peaks says” knowing that is usually followed by another reason we can’t do something the way we had originally planned it.  He’s tolerated me getting up at 5am in the morning, including at our friends’ wedding in New Hampshire, only to have to get out of bed a few hours later himself to come fetch me after I took a wrong turn.  I am thankful and lucky every day to be married to such a wonderful and loving person.

Finally, to everyone I've been out of touch with.  To all of you whom I owe phone calls, letters, wedding presents, shower gifts and visits. I promise when this is over, we’ll be back in touch.   


This list surely isn't exhaustive, many of you reading this have helped in ways you know and ways you probably don’t.  I hope to revive this blog so be sure to check back for the IMMT race report!  You can track the insanity as well on IronmanLive.com.  I'm number 398.

2 comments:

  1. Your words hit me like sunshine spiking its rays on a cloudy day. With gratitude outpouring from my heart, I am so happy to have started many of my grueling mornings to your crazy wit, warmth and undaunting persistence. Since training with you this year, I witnessed you complete a marathon and now an Ironman this upcoming weekend...not to mention all the while writing numerous papers and playing numerous hockey matches. You have introduced me to Pure Fare yumminess, hilarious stories of carbs wrapped in carbs, the history of Moonbow and your wonderful mom, real Kentucky bourbon, your culinary skills, the cutest and whitest fuzzy animals, your tremendously awesome husband and brother...and, most of all, your life. Thank you for sharing a small part of your life with me. I am honored and grateful to have you as my friend. And, I cannot wait to watch you cross the finish line. Wow! Just the thought reminds me that it is a wonderful thing to be alive.

    ReplyDelete